Wednesday, January 26, 2011

An uneventful day....

 Well, today didn't garner very much sewing or much of anything fun to share. I managed to re-arrange my living room to accommodate the new (to TDMM) kitchen set into the "sea of toys" that is my life now.
I put together my dress for this weekend yesterday, and managed to hem it today, and that was it.....I really need to line the top of it and do a rolled hem on the raw edges of the top as well. MAYBE I can do that tomorrow and get a few pictures of it! From trying it on to have help pinning up the hem, I'm getting some some good feedback! That makes me very happy.

 Aside from sewing, I did make a 14.5 lb turkey for dinner tonight, that actually turned out delicious! My gravy on the other hand was a bit "gloppy", yes, that is a real word. It describes my gravy to a "T". Thats what I get for trying to rush and get it on the table. Lesson learned.

On a happier note, Sunday night I made home made pizza dough from a blog I found called Home Ec 101. I would love to get my rear in gear and make menu plans and a daily chore schedule and all that good stuff, but alas, I'm too busy with kids, cooking, sewing and soon will be working to worry about a clean house...I mean really? Who needs a clean house! 
So, back to the pizza dough. It was DELICIOUS! I made Mr. Domestic Diva, who has cautiously asked if he could become Mr. Domestic Dude, so I think I shall oblige him, and myself calzones and the 3 older boys have pizzas, TDMM had everything she could get her hands on! The pizzas were a hit! After making 2 batches of dough I had about 2 balls left, which make a 8 inch pizza each, so I bagged them up and froze them.
In my planning ahead mode, I pulled a ball out yesterday and made myself a pizza for lunch. I have to say, it was equally yummy thawed as it was the night I made it!!! I think I shall make dough and freeze it for those nights when no one wants to cook. I'm so in love!
It isn't beautiful, but it was yummy!
So for those of you that don't want to search the Home Ec 101 site, I will offer you the recipe here!


Ingredients:
  • 1 TBSP active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 3 1/2 cups bread flour + a little more for dusting
  • 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil + extra to grease the bowl for rising
  • 2 TBSP molasses
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning – OPTIONAL
  • cornmeal for sprinkling

Directions:
Add the yeast to the warm water and set it aside.  Place the flour in a large bowl and whisk it to fluff it up.  With your hands, clean please, create a well in the flour.  Remember when you used to make a volcano with mashed potatoes and gravy? Yes, just like that.
To make clean up easier, measure the olive oil and then the molasses.  There is no chemical reason for doing this, other than the oil lubricates the spoon so you don’t have to struggle with the sticky molasses.  Add the salt and Italian seasoning.
Does the yeast and water look foamy?  Wonderful, add that to the well.  If you are using a stand mixer, use your dough hook to stir and knead.  Use the lowest setting and only knead it for about a minute after the dough comes together.
If you are kneading by hand, stir the ingredients until they are moist and well mixed.  Flour your work surface and knead the dough for around three minutes.  Estimate, this is pretty forgiving.
After kneading shape the dough into a ball. (Just like playdough folks, just like playdough).  Set aside.  Grease a large bowl with olive oil.  Place the dough in the bowl, turning it several times to coat with oil.  Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for at least thirty minutes.
Divide the dough into equal portions.  We make 4 thin crust 12″ pizzas, if you prefer thicker crust you will have fewer pizzas.  If you have multiple pans allow the dough to sit for ten or fifteen additional minutes, before shaping.  If, like me, you only have one pizza stone, immediately begin shaping the dough (with a rolling pin or by tossing)for baking, the other three can rise and your first really won’t suffer.
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
If you use a pizza stone, allow the stone to heat for 10 minutes in a 450F oven.  If you are using a metal baking sheet, preheating is unnecessary.
Sprinkle the  stone or cookie sheet with cornmeal; set the shaped pizza crust on the surface and top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings.  Bake for 10 – 15 minutes (watch it carefully, this depends on your toppings).
Enjoy.

Well I will leave you to drool, and for me to catch some zzzzz's!

Signing off
   The Domestic Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment